Thursday happens to be one of my favorite days of the week because the weekly Seaside Market specials land in my inbox. Often times it’s a ‘buy one, get one free’ offer, but sometimes, it’s ‘free stem’ week, which is my favorite. Sunflowers, hydrangeas, bells of ireland, stock, gerbera daisies… oh my!
It’s the little things in life that can bring us the greatest joy, after all. The best part is that our quaint little city of Cardiff is full of charming, unique things that can make us really happy. Over the next coming months, you’ll see me continue to shine a light on the Cardiff gems that make this one of the best communities to live in San Diego. I am aligned with Cardiff101’s mission to enhance the well-being of the community, and I will help spread this message with inspiring pieces full of practical tips to live your happiest, healthiest life by taking advantage of all that Cardiff-by-the-Sea has to offer.
First up… Seaside Market - the grocery store that’s been serving Cardiff since 1985. It has the tagline, ‘The store for the way you live.’ If we live in the sunshine here in Cardiff, this establishment certainly reflects that, as the newly renovated space is bright, friendly, and cheerful.
So, picture this - it’s a busy Sunday afternoon or Monday evening, the lines are long, and you’ve got 10 minutes to grab something for yourself, your family, or your significant other to make for dinner. What do you buy? This list of 10 staples can be your go-to guide for a delicious meal and healthy snacks throughout the week, plus it will surely add a little joy to your everyday life.
Note, you’re shopping for a recipe: Kale + Fuji Apple Salad (below).
- Kale - Kale is an awesome staple because not only can you use it for the salad, but you can toss the excess in your morning smoothie the next day. Kale is one of the most nutrient dense veggies available to us, jam-packed with vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C, K, calcium, and magnesium, plus powerful antioxidants. For salads, curly kale is a great option as it has a softer texture and turns perfectly tender when massaged.
- Fuji Apples - Apples are the perfect versatile grocery item as you can use them in salads and for snacks. They’re an excellent choice for the whole family as they can be enjoyed by adults, or sliced up for kids with nut butters and cinnamon. The best part about apples aside from their delicious taste is that they are high in fiber and antioxidants making them a great fruit to always have on hand.
- Carrots - Another item that works in the salad, but also as a snack later in the week is carrots. Slice them up and throw them in the kids’ lunches or grab a stock and munch on it. Carrots are high in vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene, and eating a good fat with carrots can also help the body absorb more of the beta-carotene.
- Avocados - This makes avocados the perfect pair for carrots. They are the perfect healthy fat to add to a salad, and also, who doesn’t love avocado toast and guacamole!? Loading up on avocados on your Seaside shopping trip is sure to make for several meals and snacks throughout the week.
- Pumpkin Seeds - Speaking of healthy fats… pepitas are my favorite seed and they add the perfect ‘crunch’ to any salad! They are packed with magnesium, zinc, and omega-3’s, and are a great mid-afternoon snack for an extra energy boost.
- Lemons - You know what they say… when Seaside gives you lemons… make anything! Lemons are great for homemade salad dressings, and squeezing on chicken or veggie dishes. Plus, starting off your day with a warm cup of lemon water helps to detoxify the body, flushing unwanted toxins from the liver and strengthening the immune system with their vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - Speaking of detoxing, apple cider vinegar is a pantry staple! There are countless uses for this stuff including salad dressings, skin and hair remedies, and detox tonics. It has a ton of health benefits, but overall it helps to alkalize the body, wards off bad bacteria, and is said to even lower blood pressure. Be sure to get the one with ‘The Mother.’
- Dark Chocolate - One of the best parts about Seaside is their ability to stock some really unique products. The selection of coconut based ice creams are unmatched as well as their wall of speciality dark chocolate. Dark chocolate contains fiber and many pivotal minerals and antioxidants. It’s the perfect treat to enjoy after your kale salad and throughout the week.
- OJ! - A trip to Seaside wouldn’t be complete without their homemade OJ! This is perhaps one of the best parts about the store… the magical machine that squeezes oranges right before your very eyes all by pushing a button. Typically juices are packed with all sorts of added sugar, but here, what you see is what you get.
- Flowers - As mentioned, almost every week Seaside has a flower special. Don’t forget to take advantage and grab a couple stems or a bouquet to brighten your living space or surprise your hunny. Each time you walk by the bunch in your house, allow their beauty to leave you with a smile on your face.
I hope you can see that a little goes a long way, and that it’s easy to be efficient and healthy. Thankfully, Seaside has all of the options you need.
Now, enjoy this Kale & Fuji Apple Salad!
You can find me over at Full On Happiness where I offer nutrition & health coaching.
Peace, love, Cardiff -
1-2 bunches of Curly Kale
2 Fuji Apples
2 Shaved Carrots
3/4 cup Pumpkin Seeds
2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tablespoon Honey
¼ cup Olive Oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
- De-stem kale and chop into ~ 2 inch leaves
- Mix together dressing and pour over kale in a salad bowl massaging the leaves with the dressing.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: diced apples, shaved carrots, diced avocado, and pumpkin seeds. Mix together and serve. Or in separate bowls serve kale and then then top with other ingredients.
Gina Martini is a Transformational Nutrition Coach and founder of Full On Happiness, a health coaching practice in Cardiff-by-the-Sea. She coaches her clients on cultivating a healthy relationship to themselves and food, specializing in weight release, emotional eating, and personal fulfillment. You can learn more about her services here: www.fullonhappiness.com or follow along for daily soul-nourishing inspiration on Instagram @fullonhappiness.