A Red Flag and High Wind warning is in effect for the San Diego Region from Wednesday, December 6 until 6 PM Saturday, December 9. Winds were expected to be from 20-25 mph with the strongest winds occurring on Thursday. Combined with low humidity, there was extreme fire weather conditions on Thursday, December 7.
The Fire Department and Public Works Department have increased their front line staff in preparation for response to severe weather-related incidents, such as possible wildfires, fallen trees, downed power lines, and power outages.
Emergency evacuation gates located at Lone Jack Road and Double LL Ranch Road are now open and will remain open through this wind event.
City recreation trails will be closed at Lot 15 off of Lynwood Drive and Indian Head Canyon off of Quail Hollow Dr. on 6 PM Wednesday, December 6 due to this Red Flag and High Wind warning.
Residents should take precaution:
· Secure any items on their property that might blow away.
· Anyone living near wildland-urban interface should ensure they have defensible space.
· Clear dried brush or any other potential fire fuel from property and structures.
· Do not use equipment that may spark and cause a fire, including lawn mowers and trimmers.
· Refrain from lighting fires outdoors.
In the event of an evacuation or power outage, be prepared:
· Register for AlertSanDiego.
· Have a family communication plan.
· Know your community’s evacuation routes.
· If you are told to evacuate, do so immediately; do not wait.
· Prepare a “Disaster Kit” with food, water, flashlights, batteries, clothing, toiletries, medications, and important documents.
· Visit here for more resources.
IN THE CASE OF
Down or Broken Power Lines:
· Fallen electric lines are extremely dangerous.
· Stay clear of the line and do not touch it.
· Always assume that power lines are energized.
· Report any downed lines to 911 and SDG&E immediately at 1-800-611-SDGE (7343).
· If a tree has fallen and blocking the roadway, please call 760-633-2922.
· If a tree has fallen on a structure or vehicle, please call 911.
· Call 911 in an emergency.
Signals Out or Flashing: Please call 760-633-2850 or if it is after hours Non-Emergencies call 760-633-2922.
Down Signs: If a stop sign (or similar) has fallen and blocking the roadway, please call 760-633-2922.
Residents who live in the areas where the high winds are forecast to be strongest are encouraged to monitor SDG&E’s weather page for real-time updates on conditions at www.sdgeweather.com.
Please share this information with your neighbors, family, and friends. Follow the City's webpage or the City's Facebook and Nextdoor pages for updates.
Christine adores Cardiff-by-the-Sea. She is passionate about the environment, animals and health, including a great love for her family and the outdoors. She is dedicated to making a difference through diligence, perseverance, strategy, education, awareness and change.